PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unions not the only ones unhappy with Qantas management
Old 5th Oct 2011, 10:00
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is none, yet you read the comments sections and everyone is talking about thug unions being evil etc. People's minds are made up in the first 10 seconds when it comes to print media.
Exactly. However, now the talkback radio audience are getting elderly and infirm, newspaper website comment sections have become the new crackpot rant outlet of choice. Even though they are published (online) by newspapers there seems to be little if any editorial control, so they're free game for anyone with a soapbox and an internet connection. After reading a lot of them from several papers about various issues I don't believe that the comments sections on these sites are ever an accurate representation of nationwide opinion.

Having watched 10, 7 and ABC coverage of this issue, I think they were all fairly cautious in their reporting compared to the initial Telegraph report. Lots about "Qantas claim..." and not too much in the way of absolutes. I could be wrong, but my impression was they were a bit sceptical.
...the company receives threats almost on a daily basis, which are evaluated by Corporate Security.
Most companies do. Banks and unpopular public service departments like Centrelink and the ATO receive absolutely dreadful threats on a daily basis. That's not to condone the practice, but it's hardly unusual.

(G'day Pinky, btw. Hope you're well too)!

Last edited by Worrals in the wilds; 5th Oct 2011 at 11:15.