PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Round out / flare & other "terms"
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2011, 11:38
Grob Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point initially was that Grob's instructor has possibly given out incorrect information (or Grob has misunderstood the FI) by stating it's the point at which the aircraft leaves the ground - in other words "take off"... In another thread started by Grob (G force) his instructor had also told him/her it's OK to takeoff with full flaps. Another potential issue or misunderstanding? I quote Grob "However, since I had a CFI check, he said that it was perfectly ok to take off with full flap on a t&g - it measn there is less work required during the ground roll. However, I ahev never really had any issues with this and when I ahev done three solo T&Gs, I brought land flap up to use just t/o flap and was fine."
Guys, I know that most of you here are vastly more experienced than me...but in simple speak, Take off occurs when the aircraft's nosewheel (or all wheels for taildraggers) leaves the ground does it not... Therefore, logic tells me that you are taking off when rotating!

500 above, Do you honestly think RAF QFIs (or any come to that) would give false info to a student? I admit, it may be my misunderstanding, but hes good at explaining issues! And the full flaps issue... It was the club CFI who sat down with my FI and me and said that t&g with full flap is acceptable. Now, as a student, do you REALLY think i would disagree and argue with a well respected CFI who comes with a dazzling reputation and who has flown all types (including the Me109)...?!

Basically though, fellow pilots, terminology is unimportant; is it not the case that so long as we all lift the wheels off the ground when the aircraft is up to the correct speed, we will continue to take our respective machines safely off the ground, clearing all obstacles and enjoying an uneventful flight?!!