PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Round out / flare & other "terms"
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2011, 20:34
500 above

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patowalker - sadly, the days of conventional undercarriages (tailwheel) are all but gone in aviation, with the exception of Buffalo Airways and the like. The term 'rotate' however is still used on those commercial flight decks, as I'm sure you are aware. Rather obviously, the web link posted infers nose wheel aircraft! If I were to air the Chipmunk, Luscombe, Condor, Cap 10 or the like for a bimble around the local area, I would most certainly not be calling V speeds out or filling out TOLD cards... I'll leave that for the aircraft I'm paid to fly professionally.

My point initially was that Grob's instructor has possibly given out incorrect information (or Grob has misunderstood the FI) by stating it's the point at which the aircraft leaves the ground - in other words "take off"... In another thread started by Grob (G force) his instructor had also told him/her it's OK to takeoff with full flaps. Another potential issue or misunderstanding? I quote Grob "However, since I had a CFI check, he said that it was perfectly ok to take off with full flap on a t&g - it measn there is less work required during the ground roll. However, I ahev never really had any issues with this and when I ahev done three solo T&Gs, I brought land flap up to use just t/o flap and was fine."

I've never been an advocate of the term 'rotate' in a light aircraft. However I've always been a believer that tailwheel aircraft produce a better pilot.

Last edited by 500 above; 3rd Oct 2011 at 21:12.