Thread: Starting out
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 11:53
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You missed one Seabreeze...

Buy the Company

Seriously tho,
what seabreeze said about choice of training organisation is not totally true. Sometimes (as it was for me) choice of instructor was more important. I did my GFPT with one company, and then went in search of an Instructor for my PPL.

How you relate to your instructor is important. You must be able to remove that 'feeling' of my instructor is god, and work with your instructor at a level where he has the 'authority' over you to actually teach some, but maintaining the ability to question what you are being taught. If you can't do that, then you will become a factory product.

Quite often, when people ask you where you trained, the very next question is WHO (ie the instructors name) did you your training. It can generate 3 responses....1. dunno him, 2. he's not bad or 3. REALLY!.... response 3 is the one you want.

Some of the career instructors have reputations, and MIGHT open doors for you.

Mugzy suggested Instructing. I started writing a post against this, and was disturbed several hours ago.
Instructing isn't for everyone, and nor is it a fast way into the airlines. I thought I would mention against it, due to the original posters comments of heading bush to fly crashna's.

It is possible to succeed in a major city without going bush. Mate of mine recently accepted into RFDS, never went bush, never instructed, but picked up a good job driving light twins, they assisted him getting his MECIR, began flying bizjets as well. For him, it was a matter of knocking on doors demanding a job.

There are so many options in aviation, and realistically, it doesn't all revolve around driving sausage tubes.

cheers
Jas

LIVE THE DREAM