PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feeling valued in the RAF / Army / Navy
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2011, 13:00
SOSL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There were times when I felt valued and times when I didn't.

For the first:

Based at Leuchars, married local lass in Cupar. Guard of honour (included Wildpig (guys of my age will remember him) and several others). emerged from Guard of Honour, Leuchars pipe and drum band struck up - we hadn't a clue they would be there. We both felt valued.

Local Lass from Cupar died 2 weeks later. Took me 2 weeks to arrange funeral and sort my self out.

Back to work - in tray included two envelopes; one small and brown, one a bit bigger and blue.

Big one contained a handwritten note from ACM Sir David Evans (then C-in-C Strike) "So sorry to hear .. etc. If I or my staff can help you in any way please do not hesitate to let me know". STC in those days was about twice the size of the RAF as it is to day and I was only a Flt Lt (engineer) and not a pilot. I felt valued.

Small brown one contained a MOD F4a (Small memo) and my cheque to NONPAS for the hire of the wedding swords. Memo from HQSTC, NONPAS clk (Corpopral) read "There's nothing I can say Sir, but I don't think we need the enclosed cheque" I felt valued.

I still have all three bits of paper and I don't see any difference in importance between the ACM and the Cpl.

For the second:

I received a "Blue Letter" from C-in-C HQSTC, some time later, congratulating me on my promotion. I hadn't been promoted, it was a cock-up. I didn't feel valued.

I was promoted later.

SOS