PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feeling valued in the RAF / Army / Navy
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2011, 07:49
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
When I suggested in MB a couple of years ago that I was planning to leave, the reaction was 'Oh, that's nice, can we help?' Unfortuantely, no one tried to talk me out of it...but I didn't leave, as it happens.

We PPruners have probably smirked and commented sarcastically at US promotion/CoC/retirement events. As I mentioned in another post, about a 1/3 of my career has been spent working with or working for US personnel - DOD and State department - including the latter very recently. They do make their people feel valued and they do ensure that families are made the centre of attention at these sometimes cheesy ceremonies. A couple of months ago I attended the formal farewell event of a USN Cdr. He was piped 'aboard', presented a folded US flag (having been passed along a line of his troops in a choreographed movement), farewelled by his boss, Padre said prayers and then piped 'ashore'. It was very moving even if his crew did look like extras from a Village People video (cue 'In the Navy...').

A couple of years ago I attended the 'pinning up' ceremony of a USAF Lt Col based in the UK. His daughter sang both National Anthems and a UK 2* presented and affixed his silver eagles. The event was tasteful, appropriate and memorable, especially for his family.

In my 26 years in uniform I have only received one letter of congratulation on promotion (from a fellow officer who was parenting me, congratulating me along the lines of 'I thought I'd write to you, because no other bu&&er will!) and all medals (albeit round ones) have been picked up from Gen Office or received in the post. Perhaps formed units/Sqns make a big thing of this, but for a majority of the RAF (I suspect) there is no formal recognition of these suignificant events in one's career (except for wearing the rank, taking the pay, bigger ulcers...). Even Dining Ins are increasingly becoming a brief affairs and the opportunity for Officers to have a word about their careers is generally limited to the senior departing guest ('Don't want to incur overtime - the contractors have to set up for breakfast...').

Junior ranks do not even have that opportunity; at least the WOs and SNCOs still have their Top Table lunches...I hope!