PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somali pirates caught by Russian Navy
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2011, 15:52
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
So, were all the Irish pubs in the USA were the hat was passed round, "for the boys" in the 80s, "legitimate targets"? That is just one easy to pick example of sources of terrorist funding......

You may live in a world of black and white, but as I have gotten older (wiser?) I have come to appreciate that it just consists of various shades of grey.

Many people on here seem very gung ho, wanted to start shooting at anything that moves. Perhaps it is simply my own personal attitude. The British used to have a Minister for War, and War Office. That was changed in 1964 to the Ministry of Defence, to reflect that the British military was a defensive organization. That seems to have changed in the last few years, to the point were we initiate aggression if we feel we can justify it, GW2, Afghanistan, etc, on the grounds that the best way to defend ourselves is to attack the aggressor first, or in the interest of saving lives. Personally I consider that a potentially very slippery slope. It is no doubt just as well that I shall be retiring from the military soon.