PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somali pirates caught by Russian Navy
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2011, 15:01
Lonewolf_50

Received 401 Likes on 248 Posts
It must be great to live in fluffy-land, where quoting soft Western morals is supposed to change the way that things have/do happen in real life.
For pr00ne: I see no reason for the term "pirate" to not be synonymous with "target" given what pirates do.

Seem to recall the Royal Navy, among others, engaging in cannon shooting and ship sinking and killing for many long years, vis a vis pirates.

Do I now understand that you are, as a revisionist historian, asserting that the Royal Navy was naught but a collection of maritime murderers? I would hope not.

Granted, many pirates were captured and taken to hang, after summary judgment. But many also died on the bounding main.

Perhaps one ought to learn from history, rather than trying to rewrite it or simply ignore it. Piracy pays, at present, along the Somali coast. The trick is to change that calculus, to the point that piracy does not pay.

I seem to recall that the Americans decided to stop putting up with making piracy pay, and sent the flotillas to deal with the pirates along the Barbary Coast. It worked.

I suggest, again, learn from history about how to deal with pirates effectively. Huggy fluffy don't cut it.