PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Truth about Aviation: Where does my future lie?
Old 27th Sep 2011, 05:45
CaptainGondwe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Truth about Aviation: Where does my future lie?

Hello Ladies & Gents

My name is Ian. I have been lurking these forums for several years. I was unfortunate to be born into a family of aviators. I was born in Seattle, my father worked for Boeing, and I have several relatives involved in the business. My parents were immigrants and when I was about 2 we moved back to our Homeland of Malawi where they have started two very successful business

A bit about myself.....

I am a 21 year old American and Malawian citizen. I am currently in my third year of study at the University of Miami, majoring International Studies with minors in Economics, Business Administration, Marketing, and Geography. I am interested in pursuing postgraduate education after I graduate in 2013. I am currently looking at doing in International Business in Australia with a specific focus on the Asian Pacific region. I have always wanted to be a pilot from since I can remember. I got my pilots license when I was 18 and have literally been obsessed with anything to do with the airlines.

My Question....

I am not one of those uninformed kids who comes on here asking the same questions again and again. I understand that aviation is not what it was before and that the future for the profession is bleek. Unfortunately I have interned at a Bank and a consulting firm and while I realize that these jobs could probably provide me with a much higher standard of living than I can attain being a pilot, it is something I feel I have to do or I would be doing myself and the young me who used to dream of flying everyday an injustice. My plan right now is to obtain my MBA while simultaneously completing my flight training. My parents have the funding to complete such an endeavor. The reason I write here is because someday I would like to work in South East Asia and it is o my understanding that Cathay although what not it used to be is still one of the top airlines in the world, and Hong Kong is one of the most interesting cities in the world. I however have some questions that have been on my mind and I have finally decided to ask those with the knowledge. If these have been asked already please do forgive, I have searched the forums extensively.

1. How easy is it to progress from a pilot into Airline Management or into other Aviation related industries such as Aviation Consulting? I would someday like to put my education to work in areas other than the cockpit.

2. How old is too old to be entering the profession? I would be entering around 26-27 and as a profession based on seniority I understand that that is pretty late.

3. How does it affect your social life? As a young single man or as a family man.

4. What are the prospects like for travel with your family? If there is an empty seat on a sector you are flying can your significant other be put on standby free of charge or are they costs involved? One of the most appealing aspects of being a pilot in South East Asia is the opportunity to visit some new and exciting countries that I probably would not have the opportunity to otherwise.

5. And most importantly, honestly, do you (Cathay Pilot or pilot in General) come home everyday loving/enjoying your job? This is the most important thing. I understand that a job is a job, but do you still catch yourself in awe watching hundreds of tons on metal soar into the sky?

Again if these questions have been asked before I do apologize. Also I was not sure which forum was most appropriate to post this in but I imagined since I would like to fly in South East Asia this would be the most appropriate. I would like to thank you in advance for your help and answers.

Regards

Ian