PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do i need to worry about landing at samos airport
Old 26th Sep 2011, 19:35
swivelhips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do i need to worry about landing at samos airport

i have flown in to samos airport twice in the past 6 weeks, on each occasion the landings where aborted, the first time the pilot made 2 attempts to land, conditions a biy windy but a beautiful sunny day, the second occasion it was a flight with company Tor Air from gatwick airport in england, it was a very old 737, we were delayed for 11hours whilst a new battery was fitted, we eventually took off at17 50 hours, the cabin crew imformed us that the closing time for samos airport was 21 00hours but they were staying open to welcome us, upto this point the pilot hadnt given us any imformation about the journey, how long it would take us etc, the flight was a comfortable one,nice meal, free drinks offered to us because of the delay, the seat belt sign is illuminated, there is a grunt from the front of the plane, we are imformed by the cabin crew we are about to land, down down down we go tossing and turning, i had already briefed the passengers around me about my previous experience, then the roar of the engines tells me that we are about to go up up up, the lady next to me was clinging onto my arm as if her life depended on it, sounding mr out for reassurance that everything was ok and were we heading for Rhodes airport, because we had kept a fairly sraight path i told probably yes which was then comfirmed by the cabin crew, not the pilot who we later found out couldnt speak a word of english, in the ladys eyes next to me i was her hero . the reason i am telling you this tale is that i went back to samos to see if i could rent a property there as i fell in love with the island, but because of my experiences they are trying to make me change my mind and find a property somewhere else. i am hoping that somebody out there can reassure them that samos airport is a safe place to fly into.