PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going for it or not..advice please!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 11:50
trainee99

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Stefair, is that the wings scheme? If so, I might have to reconsider my advice! I laid down 60k including type rating 7 years ago for the same scheme which, whilst expensive seemed a reasonable punt as the most likely to land me a job and it yielded a jet permanent contract. I understood that it had gone up but didn't realise by how much - 98k, + the interest accrued over the period of repayment is an incredible sum of money and leaves me wondering which route, if any - would I take now, knowing full well that the self improver route is a risky option and that stefair will have worked very hard for that first job and has a number of doors to knock down before making it worthwhile financially, and that many will not have his/her persistence coupled with a little luck. I agree that getting to into the jet isn't the be all and end all, but for me at least, being paid a decent wage comensurate with the time and effort put in over the years is - the final achievement of an f(ATPL) is not the whole story for most, whichever route they choose, but rather the final step - most will have had other careers, and flying-wise will have done the cadet thing, UAS, some private flying, maybe some gliding and so forth - the final modular or itegrated course for many is the final step in a long dedication and passion in aviation. I'm not implying that I or anyone else is owed a job, the system is as it is, but since I now fly revenue flights for my airline who make a lot of money, I feel that there should be some sort of strict selection at the start of training and some sort of risk shared by training providers or airlines. To ask people - who may not be suitable for the job and for whom there may not be jobs anyway - to part with a massive amount of cash is not a good system. I think that many on these forums disagree. Since my thoughts are possibly outdated I'll duck out and wish u777 the best of luck with his decision making!