PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going for it or not..advice please!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2011, 08:18
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like you had the interest in flying very early on and like me you found yourself to become very successful in another career and stayed on. Similar story here, from 18 to 26 (after the PPL) I put the flying career on the back burner, since then completed the training, did a SSTR and went back to work contracting. Guess what? it was only this year I found my lucky break 4 years after completing my fATPL. In that time I only got 2 assessment opportunities. Each day, the airlines and schools find something else to discriminate against. You'll be 36 by the time you finish, even if you did a gold plated integrated course with Oxford paying out of your rear and came out shining they absolutely will not treat you in the same way they would treat a 22yo. I.e, you'd be ignored when it came to job opportunities. You'd be left on your own and trust me without connections that is a horrible and painful place to be.

It's a massive risk. I believe ultimately everyone who tries very hard gets what they were originally set out to but it comes with blood, sweat and tears.

Don't pay attention to the anti-P2F brigade, they in their lofty positions have no idea what it's like in this morally brankrupt airline pilot recruitment industry these days. Had I ignored their advice 3 years ago I wouldn't have struggled so much!