PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Plea for Common Sense and Decency
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2002, 09:53
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I confess to being someone who has tried this trick in the past (although not on BA) - 4 time to be precise - twice we had a row to ourselves, once we allowed the middle-seater to have the window, and once we were 're-seated' at check-in. This thread has made me think again. I'd always assumed that the worst case scenario was that we'd offer someone either the window or aisle. I hadn't thought about the possibility of splitting people up - thanks Bealine.

I used to have very little sympathy for people who were allocated middle seats - I always assumed they'd turned up late and got what they deserved. Again, a few good arguments here as to why that isn't always the case (although it often is!).

Bealine, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the current BA on-line check-in/reservation facility allow ANYBODY to pre-book seats, regardless of how or where they bought their ticket? I've pre-booked seats on-line before, weeks before travel on very cheap apex tickets which were bought via travel agents, other on-line agencies and even on Airmiles freebies. You simply have to type in the six letter booking ref. and you're away. This facility even allows me to get a seat up from in row one (domestic MAN-LHR) which, although in a single class cabin, would normall be reserved for 'Gold Card types'. Although I now have SOME sympathy for people who get split up, I can't help thinking that that's the price they pay for being less aware of the situation than I am.

I agree that the system shouldn't allow me to book seats A and C for a couple, but as long as it does, people will do this - you can't blame people for trying. Perhaps what is needed is a simple logic change in the programming, not the threat of complete withdrawls of pre-allocated seating. Don't tell the wife, but I now actually sometimes book seperated seats on different rows (1A and 36F, for example) on purpose, particularly on overnight long-hauls. I'm less likely to get nagged and moaned at all night by a stranger than by the wife (and it might be a rather good-looking stranger as well ). When she complains to me, I always blame the 'crappy seating systems the airlines use'. I wouldn't want to lose this facility, so please keep on-line pre-allocation available.

Globaliser, I believe it was some of the earlier MD-11's which had this 3-4-2 arrangement. I always thought this was an excellent idea - not sure why it didn't catch on. Perhaps the cabin crew on the 'heavy' side of the aircraft got fed up with doing more work ) Now we have a child, I usually choose the aircraft (and thus airline) we fly with on seating arrangements. When travelling as a couple 2-5-2 or 2-4-2 is preferable, when with child 3-3-3 or 3-4-3.