PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Family vs long-haul
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2011, 02:30
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hats off to you Long Haul, you've got it in one

A huge amount depends on your wife and how self sufficient she is ... if she's the kind of girl who stands on a chair and screams for you to come and help when there's a mouse in the kitchen, your marriage will be short and unpleasant once you're seriously into the long haul swing of things. Or if she's sufficiently insecure that she interrogates you about the cabin crew etc after every trip - whether or not you are actually fooling around or behaving like an angel doesn't matter, if she is one of the low-self-esteem types then it will drive her crazy every time you're away regardless.

And these days there's no such thing as "just" long haul vs short haul - frequency of trips, how hard they work you, east-west versus north-south long haul trips make a huge difference with time zone changes etc. Sandpit rosters with all their sneaky stuff like "factored" hours, min rest at home, super long haul straight into a subcontinent turn round etc, most of the time you're so shattered on your days off that it's not quality time with family even if you are at home. I was absolutely burned out on that and had to get away after a couple of years for the sake of the marriage. The roster I have now is fantastic by comparison I only seem to work a couple of days a week and have a lot more time to spend with the kids than I ever had in any job before.