PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Family vs long-haul
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2011, 01:37
Long Haul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been on long haul for 17 years, and have successfully raised a family at the same time. Although every situation is different, I can tell you what I believe to have been the most important qualities of my own family life that have contributed to that success. First of all, I have a very independent wife. Not a career woman, but a stay-at-home mom who doesn't freak out when the furnace quits or there is a water leak. These things will always occur when you are on a trip! She also is secure enough in our relationship to hear stories about me going to bars with the cabin crew and to believe me when I say that I didn't get up to any mischief. She has her own social life parallel to ours together, so, even now that the kids are all out of the house, she is seldom bored and lonely. Secondly, I am pretty bad at dealing with jet-lag. That might sound counter-intuitive, but what I mean is that I adapt to new time zones slowly. So slowly, in fact, that when I get back home I am, if the trip was short enough, still on my home time zone and take very little time to re-acclimatize. This means that my time at home can be spent getting done what needs to be done.
I absolutely did not miss my kids growing up. On the contrary, I was at home much more than if I had flown short haul, and was often able to go to their school plays and concerts even more often than the other dads with 9 to 5 jobs. I still love the foreign travel, and still get a huge kick from flying a four-engined fire-breathing behemoth.
Good luck with the rest of your career whatever you choose, and keep in mind that the most important thing for your family life will be for you to have a good job in15 years, so ask yourself which company will still be around then!