PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Business Aviation
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2011, 08:14
peterc005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not just about money, it's lifestyle. If I get a couple of nice sunny days it's a nice break flying to Sydney and back.

YMMB to YSBK (return) takes me about 7 hours in the air at $150 an hour. Say $1,000.

It's a two seat plane and a pair of VirginBlue tickets would cost me $500 each, so the cost is about the same.

Also, I live 5km from Moorabbin airport and about 60kn from MMML, so I save a bit of time and travel there.

I'll usually time it so I return on a Saturday so there is no rush, so the return trip is a leisurely cross country cruise. No rush to make a check in or waiting for flights, I depart when I feel like it and if I want to divert somewhere for a meal it's upto me.

It's a justifiable business expense, and like most expenses for the plane my business pays for it.

Life is short, and the pleasure of a long cross country flight on a fine day makes the hard work of my business worth it.

For years my plane was parked in a hangar 100 metres from the regional CASA office. CASA set the rules and if you follow them they are there but you never have much to do with them.