PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Man dies after yobs stop air ambulance landing
Old 12th Sep 2011, 06:44
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TT
Tbh Heliport, I don't know why you started this thread.
Because I considered the news item deserved a thread of its own. ie Because it was an air ambulance.
I'm sure the Mod will merge it into the main thread on l@sers and helicopters if/when he feels it appropriate.
You set out to imply that the man's death was caused by the yobs stopping the helicopter landing, but apart from the selective use of a crappy source there doesn't seem to be much evidence at this stage for that.
Did I?
I used the Wiltshire Gazette and Herald headline as my thread title; I would do so again. I also posted a link to the BBC news item. I have no reason to believe the Wiltshire Gazette and Herald is a “crappy source”. Perhaps you'd prefer the Daily Mirror: Dying man's 999 helicopter forced to abort landing because of lasers - mirror.co.uk

Whether the patient died as a result is not the point. The point is that yobs shone lasers at an air ambulance. The patient may well have died anyway, but they didn't know nor care.

I just don't see the value in giving a platform here for talking bollocks about something which is clearly very serious.
‘Bollocks’ in your opinion.

Only people who have little or no experience of prison think it's cushy.
That is simply not correct.

(To) imply that the prison environment should be made WORSE to to act as a deterrent is breathtaking in its stupidity.
That assertion is breathtaking in its arrogance. It also ignores the fact that informed opinion is, and has been for many years, divided on the issue.

You refer to Capetonian’s “lay opinion”. On what basis are your own opinions more than “lay”?
You say you have been inside many jails in many places. In what capacity?

In a previous thread Yobs throw rocks at air ambulance you said: “Surely this is more than a case of some youths with bad attitudes, and much more to do with endemic poverty and alienated social groups.”
Is it your belief that people who point lasers at helicopters (air ambulance or other) necessarily fall into either or both of those groups?

H.