PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Pilot Recruitment 2012
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2011, 23:23
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deano777 - It appears that the person with the least powers of observation on this thread may be you. I am fully aware of the easyJet Careers website and its allusion to a possible entry method for non-rated pilots. The 'dead dogs' I was referring to, and which BaronBlue has understood, are the defunct Type Rating Sponsorship (TRSS) and hold pools of previous years. The situation that BaronBlue referred to was where easyJet ran recruitment sessions for non-rated pilots, indicated to the successful candidates they would have jobs shortly and placed them in a hold pool until specific course dates could be arranged. Then easyJet had a change of tack, recruited a whole pile of CTC cadets and left the TRSS guys high and dry with no clear indications of what would happen next. A long time later, the hold pool was abandoned and the waiting candidates were sent packing. Quite understandably, the pilots on the receiving end of this behaviour were utterly dismayed - frankly, I cannot blame them.

The problem is that, however badly the would-be TRSS candidates were treated, it will not change anything - therefore the dogs are dead and it is time to move on. The big unknown from easyJet's perspective is the quality of the candidates that apply with A320 ratings. Past sim sessions have not been encouraging, and whole batches of candidates have failed on some occasions. Therefore, easyJet have to keep the door open to the possibility of non-rated pilots if required - hence that last paragraph in the advert. If required, there will be non-rated opportunities under the guise of some kind of TRSS scheme - although probably called something completely different to save any awkwardness. The final terms and conditions are yet to be decided, but it will be a great deal for those who get it.

Behind the scenes at easyJet, there are many hopeful signs. The 'Project Merlin' team are about to present the plan for the future of pilots within the company. It has been and continues to be a root and branch analysis of every aspect of pilot engagement. I do not expect vast pay rises for all, but I do expect there to be significant changes in contracts. The most likely one appears to be a move from 5/3/5/4 to a combination of 5/4 and 4/4 contracts. I personally love the idea of starting on 2 or 3 earlies and finishing on 3 or 2 lates - it sounds about as good a deal as you can get in airline flying. There would be no random month and you could therefore predict your 4 days off for years in advance. The 4/4 deal may come with the right for the company to buy-back some days off, but I am not sure of the specifics. There are numerous details to be worked through, not least of all how the 'flexicrew' pilots will be sorted out. Furthermore there are significant inequities that need to be addressed - for example a UK-based Training Captain earns not much different from a Paris-based First Officer. A crazy situation exists where UK Training Captains have taken up jobs in France, Italy and Spain to get the big bucks. Therefore the Company has to position them back to the simulator at Gatwick on working days - on a 5-day block easyJet only gets 3 days sim training out of them. It would seem logical to ensure that these guys are paid properly and get more work out of them. At the other end of the spectrum, many 'flexicrew' First Officers earn a lot of money but do not have the security of tenure they desire. Would it not be cheaper to give them the permanent job that pays them way less than they earn at the moment, but would give them certainty for the future?

EasyJet is not perfect, but there is a huge amount that is right. Although there is much to be done, there is a sea-change in management thinking and practice that has become palpable. It will never be a British Airways but, compared with a huge range of airlines, it has much to offer. I believe that for many current captains in other airlines, it may be worth the risk to come to easyJet as a First Officer - it is a fine judgement that only the individual can make. For any turboprop or ex-military guys/gals fortunate enough to get taken on, should the opportunity arise, there will be very few of them who will regret it. Best of luck to one and all.