PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private chopper coppers
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2011, 16:36
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public Service Helicopters

In my opinion we could benefit from the concept of Public Service Helicopters which take on a support role for ALL the emergency services. We need dedicated SAR and HEMS (AA) but there is a role for a good medium/light twin that provides a SAR-Support, AA-backup and 'support to the civil power'.

There are role models in France (Protection Civile) and Germany (Katastrofenschutze). Our problem is the turf war syndrome of "that's my patch - hands off.

There are various roles that police choppers perform that could legitimately be done by such an organisation even if it is 'commercial' rather than para-public such as missing person searches (maybe 30% of police hours?? just guessing!!) and back-up medevac, Police-type phot missions (subject to security issues I know but that could be covered by the disciplinary code for all involved a la Police Community Officers/Special Constables). Maybe some surveillance and assistance to the Fire and Rescue service. Moving their casualty extraction equipment by way of rapid response is an issue I know.

Sponsorship of community help in this way is surely acceptable.

G.

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 8th Sep 2011 at 17:08.