PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tianjin Airlines
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2011, 14:07
work to live

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info as sent to another prospective pilot

For everyone's information if you are looking to come to Tianjin Airlines

First a couple of disclaimers. I do not know how things are in the States. Everyone that is here now on the 190 is only here as they did not have a job and most are only here until something better comes along. Its not the best paid contract,for that look at NAS in Saudi. When you come to Tianjin you will have a huge culture shock and everyone handles that differently. Some have sworn not to come back after the application process. There is no interview,it is an application process and if you tick all the boxes you are offered a job. If you want to keep your job in the states until you are sure you have a job here, which is after you have passed your CAAC check ride for your licence in the sim. then no problem,each time they will ask you to stay on but just say you have to go back home to get your "No conviction Letter" which will probably be true anyway as seems to take ages as your documents need to verified,translated etc etc.
OK,the process is not hard, the biggest thing is they are very disorganised so you only find out what you are doing day to day at the last minute- be patient, you cannot fight the Chinese system, it is nothing like anywhere else.
The medical you pass or you don't. The Exam for ATP,if you study what Parc gives you is not a problem.It is FAA based. Most of the questions in mine were performance type that is just calculations done in 1-2 mins each. Did not bother with the long flight planning questions of which were 2 and still got 84%. Can sit again if u don't pass it one month later. Sim ride is standard with emphasise on handling skills. If they can do your CAAC straight away then do it. Otherwise if they want you to come back later for CAAC ask for a practice sim session first.
The only reason you will not be offered a job here is if you do not pass your CAAC check and the checker decides if you are allowed a 2nd chance at that or not.
The only other reason is your medical which you do first so you will know that after your CAAC check that you have a job.
Tianjin is not my choice of places to live and many of the other's are of the same mind. It is dirty,polluted and not westernised like Beijing,Shanhai or Shenzen.
Saying that it is cheap and many places to eat and drink that are frequented by westerners
Did I say that Tianjin Airlines is disorganised? It is disorganised,they are learning as they go. They had us at outbases for 10 days at a time, now down to 7, and we are trying to get that down. The outbase hotels are not great, not by western standards.
Currently guys are doing 85+ hrs so are working hard,couple are up to 98hrs. Long days and lots of ATC delays.
The positives are its a job,you get paid and having 3 weeks off every 6 is good for a commute contract or if you want to travel around the region. Definitely choose Parc over Wasinc, one guy was with Parc in Japan with me,changed to Wasinc for this job and regrets it.
Don't get too excited and tone down your expectations or you will be disappointed, it is hard work living and working in China. Come over and have a look but don't leave that job just yet.
Hope this helps