PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Pilot Recruitment 2012
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2011, 23:30
PPRuNeUser0178

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was wet behind the ears I wasn't flying big jets.

Like so many others I worked my way up through instructing, IR, Turbo prop FO/ Command, Easy 737 and now Easy bus. Unpopular as it may be my opinion is that the "old" way gave a very good grounding almost like an aprenticeship in aviation before climbing anywhere near a big jet.

No one is doing individual 2 stripers a disservice, it is the sheer number of them combined with a lowering of experience in the LHS that is the problem, combined with the amount of work we do it is far from ideal. Low hours cadets have always been around, but in the old days they represented a very small percentage of pilots mainly in BA that were released into a pool of vastly more experienced pilots.

Having done training in the past I am more than capable of, and do on a regular basis, pass on guidance to my FO's, however on many occasions it is more like training, with 2 Toga 10's to my credit in the last 12 months at LGW and many days of feeling on my own when things are going a bit tilt that I know the balance has gone too far. If I wanted to be a trainer, then there was a NTC out recently asking for applicants. There is a difference between coaching and training, and many days are too much like training and single pilot. I am concerned that my actions are not being crosschecked enough, because I am the Captain, therefore I must be right? Wrong! Its a two crew operation for a reason and it is not always that way in EasyJet right now when it goes wrong. That is not to say that is always the case, I personally have had written comments placed in two cadets training files because they were very much outstanding, and it was a pleasure to do so, however they are very much in the minority on my roster!