PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - McRae Crash & Fatal Accident Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2011, 19:08
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I was involved in aviation, and in the early days that I was (as, at that time, a flying instructor) I encountered several members of the motor racing fraternity. Being a petrolhead myself this was both a source of (obvious) joy , whilst being simultaneously disquieting.

In general these guys all had truly excellent hand/eye coordination & the ability (as you imagine) to think ahead of the vehicle. Sadly what most ( & I assuredly do not say all) lacked, was the discipline needed to be a little conservative both in aircraft handling, & in operational decisions, that form a prerequisite to attaining old age in aviation, be it professional or recreational.
Sure Colin was probably a great "poler", cannot imagine he wasn't, but he failed IMHO to see the difference between giving some guys a quick trip down the drive in a Squirrel vs a Subaru (although in reality the differences are not so marked & indeed the latter could also have ended in tears.)
As we all know, too easy in a situation like this to go "Hero to Zero" in 1/10 of a second. Sad, but not entirely surprising.
Good bloke that didn't realise his, or the machines , limitations. Much as per his early rally career. Sad he chose to have such a "Hoon" with two young kids for company.