PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kidnappinig in Philippines
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 23:58
captbisdak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@bbratuse:

Kidnapping is rarely a random event. The culprits usually do a lot of planning and ,since you mentioned in happened at NAIA, it seems like there was a lot of planning involved.

I have friends in the intel community and they were alarmed that the kidnappers had the balls to do it within the confines of an airport (as one poster said it is supposed to be a secured environment with lots of people). They say either these were really organized syndicate or there was a collaborator within. If it was the former, they found it unusual that the ransom was only $50T since the usual kidnapping rings in Manila cases would think of $50T as loose change and not worth their while particularly in a high risk extraction as in the case of an airport.

Airports in the Philippines are managed by the Department of Transport and Communications (DOTC)and usually airports have the "better" police units. So, if I were in your case I would approach your embassy to put some pressure on the DOTC. On the other hand, I would also assess the possibility of an "enemy within" just in case your family was sold out by someone close (it does happen in a number of cases).

Anyway, all the best to you and your family. Hoping the pain and anguish will heal in time.