PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Pilot Recruitment 2012
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 16:48
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, I think that easyJet is a good place to work. Secondly, guys going there as DE A320 pilots are well on the way to early commands, which can only be a bonus.

I think that usualguy is not really the muppet some of you may have assumed. I suspect that English is not his first language and consequently he may not have done himself justice in his delivery. His points are worth considering, even though I do not fully agree with his position. He is absolutely correct that there are thousands of unemployed 'pilots' in Europe. I use the word 'pilots' with caution as these are mainly people with no commercial experience but do possess a commercial pilot's licence in some form or other. There are considerably less experienced pilots with credible commercial flying under their belt. That has always been the case and always will be. Regarding usualguy's assertion that easyJet will never employ 200 hour pilots, it is absolutely not true - they have done throughout their whole 15 year + existence and continue to do so and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. What is true to say is that those pilots are taken from a limited range of flight training schools - specifically CTC and Oxford. These are essentially cartel-type deals where these schools charge staggering sums of money for courses with the unspoken understanding that a job will appear at the end. In addition, Oxford have a tie-up with a Dutch school called EPST (or something similar) and charge a pile of money on top for taking the pupils. The good bit is they arrange a 25 year (yes that's right) mortgage to pay for it costing around 1400 Euros a month for that loan period. The total debt for a young person working as 'flexicrew' for easyJet is around 195,000 Euros. It would make most people's eyes water, but there it is.

The next lot coming to easyJet are the MPL people - 95 hours total flying time and a lot of time in a sim. They are then going to be flying an Airbus round Europe. Pretty wild, but again that is the way it is.