PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing that first job in an Aviation Career
Old 3rd Sep 2011, 08:27
AnyGivenSunday99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lufc,

Firstly, congratulations on deciding to join the ranks of those who choose to follow a such a fantastic way of life. I call it a way of life, as flying is an insidious and demanding mistress.... it finds it's way into every little nook and cranny of your life! It will infect you, take all your money, and wear you down, but with hard work, persistance, and a few gold cans you will agree wih most of us - its the best job in the world.

As for the best way to go - follow your heart. A lot of advice is given freely on forums such as this, but at the end of the day, there is no right or wrong answer. You have age on your side, and you shouldnt be in a rush to get into the pointy end of a jet. Take your time, learn your craft and enjoy what you do. Be careful of the advice you take, even mine, but you should listen more to guys with grey hair, fat logbooks and hours of stories, not young know it alls. Trust me - you'll get there.

I did things the hard way... every minuite I have spent in an aeroplane has been hard earnt. I did some really terrible jobs to pay for my flying and it took forever, and after 8 years, I am almost where I want to be. I came north, spent the time, listened, learnt and earned every stripe I wear on my shoulders now. Im very very proud of every one of them. I can see the appeal of instructing, and I agree that it is also a great way to go. However, from what I have experianced, you dont want to miss out on what lies in store for you up here. Not only is it fantastic flying, the people you meet up here will not only be colleagues, but friends for life. Cut the ties, leave Mum and Dad, come up and live the dream!

I cannot stress enough - DO YOUR ATPL SUBJECTS ASAP! It is almost imposible to do them when you are working. Do your MECIR when you are getting close to a twin job. Be smart with your money. DONT RUSH, learn your craft, and run your own race.

On another note, it is good to see the encouragement from other posters on this matter. Let me commend you all whole heartedly on that! I was reminded recently of our responsibilities to the younger generation of aspiring aviators the other day when waiting at a small aboriginal community on the Daly river region of the NT. This young 9yo indij kid waited all afternoon after school to meet the pilot of the big shiny aeroplane that was parked at the airport. Watching his eyes light up at being invited to sit in the drivers seat and have his photo taken with me was one of the most rewarding experiances of my career to date. We are looked up to, and it's our responsibility to take the time to inspire.

Happy landings big fella, I wish you all the best for your career. I hope you have as much fun, and enjoy life as much as I do.

Stay safe out there folks!

Blue skies and tailwinds........