PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QLd RFDS
Thread: QLd RFDS
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 23:09
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes back to the core subject as we won't see an Avanti here doing Aeromed anytime soon

'jaba' I think it's more than Avgas fumes effecting yr brain mate

Shame the Starship didn't go anywhere, so too speak. Two things killed it I'd say.
Cost, it ended up costing more than Beech had envisaged due looooong overruns on productiontimes etc. The other thing was people sometimes don't like change. By that I mean it's different, you bought one you took a risk.You buy a Beech or Cessna, no risk there, common as mud, easy to sell. Sure it had some advantages over the current days machines but it's like being able to buy a Mackers burger anywhere in the world,their burgers are the exact same burger all over, known, dependable & comforting, those human traits didn't exist in the Starship & perhaps they never would have, we'll never know now.

Take a look at the B747, Bill Allen the president of Boeing at the time (60's) made a huge gamble building that plane & it still looked conventional but he still would have had many a sleepless night during it's production purely 'cause it was different (by way of size etc).
We may see something similar to the Starship in the future but not in our time I'd believe
For now we have the two foe's, the Beech with it's 2 engines for SAFETY & the PC for it's economy for doing the same task, but at a cost.

Wmk2