PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Firemen's Strike
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2002, 03:05
dopeonarope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish all those on this forthcoming operation a safe and healthy time. Dangerous times are ahead and I hope that no one loses any loved ones, public or military.

I find it strange that firefighters are not classed as professionals and it is disgusting the amount of pay that they get at present. I hope that they do get awarded the pay rise that they quite rightly deserve. Firefighters do more than lift heavy weights and put out fires.

I left the UK to pastures new in Canada and it is great to see that here they pay firefighters, paramedics (of which I am one here (thank you RAF for my Paramedic Training )) and all medical fields earn a lot more money. Even with the present exchange rate! (and petrol is only 72 cents litre = 28 pence!( We are all held in greater esteem than would be back in blighty.

If firefighters are worth 30k you are worth 60k.... how do you work that one out? Is that to pay for your ego about being a pilot... they save lives day to day with a lot more risk ... check the stats.