PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special VFR at Schiphol - what are my chances?
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 14:59
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have tried to research this a bit, as I it's new news to me - the channel island for instance has a pretty extensive Class A that requires SVFR.
The Jersey Zone is a control zone (CTR), as it goes down to the surface. It is, admittedly, quite unusual in structure having the smaller Class D zones carved out of it. Where airspace is more conventionally structured, you'll find the CTR is only the lowest layer up to the TMA/CTA floor. Special VFR is permitted only in a CTR, not in a CTA/TMA:

NL AIP ENR 1.2 "ATC may, under certain conditions, authorise special VFR flights within a control zone, when the flight visibility is not less than the value specified in paragraph 2.1.1."

To understand why , you need to appreciate that UK use of "special VFR" is a quirk of the combination of VFR minima and airspace structure. Almost everywhere else:

* class A airspace is not used at low levels, particularly not to the surface; and
* VFR requires 1000 ft vertically from cloud.

Thus if you want to depart a class C or D CTR in visibility less than 5000 m or less than 1000 ft below the cloud base, you must do so special VFR. That is the usual (ICAO) intention.

In the UK, the Heathrow and Jersey Zones are class A through historical anomaly. They should really be class B, in which case VFR rather than SVFR would be the norm. Additionally, the UK difference allowing VFR flights at < 140 KIAS simply clear of cloud in controlled airspace means that SVFR is rarely used for its ICAO-intended purpose.

The Schiphol CTR is class C, so SVFR is probvably not necessary. The TMA/CTA, through which you wish to fly, is class A and therefore not available under VFR or SVFR. Contrast that with Brussels, where clearances through the Class B/C Brussels CTA/TMA at FL80/90/100 are not unusual, and Germany where the highest class of airspace is C.