PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special VFR at Schiphol - what are my chances?
Old 2nd Sep 2011, 14:34
mmgreve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By definition special vfr is not available in a TMA only a CTR
I have tried to research this a bit, as I it's new news to me - the channel island for instance has a pretty extensive Class A that requires SVFR. I have not been able to find the definition you refer to, but someone referenced in an old thread that you could only get SVFR in Class A that extends to surface.

Quote:
International airports take up a lot less classified airspace in most other countries.....
Sure? The London TMA and Paris TMA don't seem to be a lot smaller, for starters.
I was not saying that Heathrow set the gold standard for TMA/CTR, but at least you don't have to stay quite as low. I know that Schiphol is a fairly busy airport (not sure about Rotterdam, though), but I am just surprised about the extend and clasification of the airspace needed. It makes it a bit of a nuisance to fly through the Netherlands (although the service is always excellent) and I was wondering if there was a "trick" the locals use.

I guess I just have to get down low, keep the mixture up, the speed down and a good lookout for masts and fellow flyers.