PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - indian class 1 medical nessasary for expats-DGCA
Old 31st Aug 2011, 11:46
concorde77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Class1 medical doubt

Hi there guys

I am from india. Have a doubt regarding pilot medical in general. I have done my DGCA ( directorate general of civil aviation ) class 2 and class 1 medical exam. DGCA is the licensing body in india. In my class 2 i was declared to have 6/6 vision. In my DGCA class1 i was not told i have a power of (-0.5) in my left eye alone in my right eye i have 6/6 vision. I have also done my LASIK eye surgery about 3 years back. I was frank with this to my DGCA doctor . Both class 2 and class1 . After 3 months the DGCA class 1 medicals certificate was posted to my house and i was declared fit. Behind the certificate it was written ""that while flying i should wear my glasses".

The DGCA class one doctor told that is i would have come for a normal eye check he wouldnt have suggested glasses for me and told that i do not need glasses while driving normally on the road . i also test my eye with 5 best eye hospitals in my city they all told that i have 6/6 vision.

My question to you guys is -
  1. Since i have done LASIK surgery and still am wearing glasses( -0.5 in one eye ),, even though i am declared fit by my DGCA class 1 would i be looked at differently when i go for a interview with an airline.
  2. Eventhough i do good in an interview would a person not so good as me given a preference since he has not undergone LASIK surgery.

I am asking these question with regards to civil aviation only( passenger airline ) not military aviation.

Thanks a million for your time .Cheers