PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here's one to boil your blood before lunch!
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 10:49
incubus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2010 Tattoo included a section where they simulated a patrol in a middle-eastern settings and a squad of armed soldiers approached an arabic-dressed family as they do daily checked them for weapons then spoke with them.

At the dress rehearsal before the public showings this was done properly (or close to properly) and I remember thinking that it was probably a bit full-on and not very PC for the general public. Lo, when I saw it again during the paid performances the entire approach was far more fluffy.

Winning hearts and minds these days needs to be done as much with our own public as it does with those in the operational areas and public displays need to be family friendly. It is a fact.

The H&S vs fast-roping is a damned shame too but the armed forces are no longer exempt from the Health and Safety at Work Act and as this was done as part of a public display rather than for operational reasons it is understandable.

I'm happy to make sure our guys aren't unnecessarily jeopardised for a war musical so they can go and do their jobs, capture Somali pirates and protect the shipping lanes.