PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PER ATC - Worst in Australia?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2011, 08:55
Chadzat

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Pilots need to help themselves, many do the right thing but there is always a big percentage that try it on. And they are the ones they need to be chased for incorrect readbacks, take forever to get off the runway (high speeds wouldn't help them) go slow when made number 1 and go fast when made number 2. It's amazing how the same aircraft from the same company can be flown so different.
I understand you guys are woefully understaffed etc... but what about some proper airline crew education sessions? Perth seems to be a basket case at the moment, but Im sure other cities could benefit from these as well. I know Airservices does the information nights for anyone from PPL to ATPL to just show them the facilities- but a specific airspace information session from a couple of controllers could be held in town, or at the WAC conference facilities or even just come into the PER airline offices and do it.

These sessions could run through pretty much what is being discussed here- ways to help our causes such as adhering to standard speeds for as long as possible on approach, emphasising the need for timely runway vacating, etc etc.

The company I work for has issued memo's before the MOWP started a few months ago, but this was general information only. Its amazing the different theories and "i think this is what ATC wants from us" that you get flying with different crew. For instance many believe that a crossing time can be plus or minus 1 min, when I believe it is not like a normal waypoint time in that you should be there AT THAT time. (correct me if Im wrong)

This would no where near solve the problems in PER by any stretch, but it may mend some fences between pilots and ATC and gain a few % points in efficiencies when everyone is doing the same (right) thing.