PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the AME apprentices?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2011, 14:12
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soz worrals... i tend to reply to the last post I read, and not look back for trends.

I Disagree with your point number 2...teenage wages as an adult apprentice, based on fact.

I have had an adult apprentice.

The requirement is that you pay them the minimum ADULT wage once they are over 25 yo.

In this state, for a first year, the Government pays their school fee's, and also gives the employer a $150 wage top up, reducing by $50 per year. The state government also tops up their wage in 6 monthly payments. Added to this, if they have a family they normally qualify for the Health Care card, and associated tax breaks.

The incentives for a mature adult to enter into an apprenticeship are there. Whilst they probably fall short of what they could earn in their current field, it is not all work for nothing.

I recently employed a new painter whom is not qualified. I am paying him similar money to what I would spend on someone fully qualified. (about $3 per hour difference) In the middle of that, I have asked him to go and get his qualification. Doing so will address the weak points in his knowledge
Going down this path the guy has enough documented industry experience to reduce his apprenticeship to 12 months. The gov will pay his schooling and workcare, and also give me $150 a week towards his wages. He will also get 2x $800 tool allowance to spend on spray guns....tax free.

Realistically, I could drop his wage once he signs, but I won't do that. I need this guy for my workshop as much as he needs me to get qualified. Any employer taking on an adult apprentice will recognise that, as much as they will recognise that if they try to screw the employee, that employee's life in industry will be enough for them to counter the employer

Cheers
Jas

PS....ok who's head is going circular after that?