PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Training in the U.S.A.
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2002, 15:17
GoneWest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Significant research is required by the student prior to signing up...
Now this time I agree 100% - I see no reason why a school should require a deposit before arrival and no reason why a student should be commited to any school before they have "all their ducks in a row" - and this obviously includes the correct visa.

What I didn't like was the statement "Visas which you can't currently get." and the inference that flying training in the USA for UK citizens was the subject of "huge difficulties".

Like it or not, you have a reputation for slagging off training in the USA (and, to an extent, I agree with you - but, despite being involved in it, there is nothing I can do to improve it), and this is how I read your message. If I am mistaken in my belief that you were using your moderator position to simply crticise USA training then I apologise - but visas are available (on the most part) from the schools that are approved.

I am personally aware - first hand experience - with (I think) every JAA approved school in Florida, except one on the beach near Daytona, that we are not even allowed to mention.

Three of them are visa approved - two of them I would recomend for PPL training, the other one for Commercial and FIC training (at the moment).

I am also being approached, for assistance and guidance, by two other Florida schools that are in the process of applying for JAA approval and visa approval - but it will be an extremely lengthy, and costly, job for them.

Whilst on the subject - if I were a JAA PPL Wanabee, and knew what I know about training - I would stay in the UK and do the PPL over as many months as it takes...despite the costs and bad weather.....but for those in a rush (for whatever reason) - or those on a budget, then the USA training market has the goods to offer....and remember, they have been individually approved by the UK CAA - to an extent far greater than any school in the UK has.