PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brize move a farce..
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2011, 19:06
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Well, yes. At Sunny Scampton, Foxtrot dispersal was very close to the AMQ:

Hence a 93% cross-feed start on bays 24 or 25 would certainly have been noticed. Double asymmetric overshoots were not permitted at night though, except by OCU QFIs.

That said, the crackle of a 'South-side Tanker' heavy on a Sunday morning can be an intrusion when you've trying to read the papers in Toon- town
On 17 June 1986, we scrambled in a max weight VC10K3 early in the morning. It was just within limits for a full power take-off from RW08, but it had been a hot, airless night and all the locals had slept with their windows open....

We'd recently had a 'bit of a word' from the fun-detectors for early turns at low level; in those days the SOP for an air defence scramble was to turn on course to Wallasey at 500ft, but many of us didn't wait that long. We also cleaned up at 1500ft rather than 3000ft for an AD scramble.

On this occasion, the pilot flying was OC101. Determined to set a good example, he diligently maintained heading until reaching 500ft. But rather than climbing at V2+20, he'd decided to accelerate immediately to MFR (210KIAS), hence we had a very shallow climb angle. When we eventually staggered up to 500ft, he turned overhead Thorney Leys and the West Witney estate still with full power applied.....then called for flap in and accelerated to 290KIAS for the climb before reducing to climb thrust.

A mate who lived in Thorney Leys said the noise was utterly indescribable - his wife thought our jet was going to hit their roof. A sentiment shared by most of Witney, because the Radio Oxford switchboard was jammed with complaints.

Being the Boss, no poo came down upon we lower mortals. But I do recall thinking "WTF is he playing at?" as I saw the roofs of the West Witney estate flashing past.

Worst of all it was a 7:00 trip and we didn't get a single Bear. But he did at least give me the landing!