PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qf LAME EBA Negotiations Begin
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2011, 13:06
Hugh Mungous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same with the pre flt,why have a LAME standing around waiting for pushback......NOT SAYING AND READ THIS.....I dont agree with it......
Rim I feel your frustration, but the reason I believe I'm standing around prior to push back is to carry out the final walk around, ensuring all the doors and panels are correctly locked and faired, there is no undocumented skin damage around the doors, servicing panels, to static ports or probes that has occured AFTER the engineer and tech crew have completed their inspection. Ensure there are no fuel leaks from access panels, sticks, sump drains or slat track housing drains following refueling operations.. The gear pins have been removed, and I'm available in 10 seconds to attempt to maintain departure schedule if any last minute issues arise in the cabin or flight deck. I also believe that during the departure an engineer should be available to monitor the aircraft for any anomalies that routinely occur during engine start and after power transfer.

I understand that the regulator, and other operators have deemed the need to have engineers carry out these functions no longer necessary. But I would like to think an airline that still trades on its reputation for safety would find a place for engineers to perform these tasks as opposed to "appropriately qualified staff".. I won't hold my breath though..The race to "world's minimum standard" sorry, "world's best practice" continues..