PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another school bust
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2011, 11:46
Bloody_Gooses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a student at CFC so I thought I would comment on the fiasco.
When I started training I also paid up front as the savings were worth it. However, around the end of last year I thought something was going wrong so I stopped.

Although I am not owed money the closure came at a bad time: all I have remaining to do is one exam and the skills test. So now I have to finish training on an unfamiliar aircraft which will cost me more money.

The katanas (G-BXOF and GH) were starting to look scruffy and usually there was only one. I have been told by a CFI that the propeller on GH is not fit for flight. During my cross-country I checked the oil at Dundee then Prestwick and found it to be very low. These aircraft are only 15 years old and as training aircraft I would expect them to be maintained to very high standards.

When Maria 'phoned me to tell me the school was ceasing trading she said that she would have to sell the two aircraft she owns (OF and GH). I don't think they will be worth much. (GH is the only one with a valid CofA). There are two other katanas (G-BXJV and JW) registered to the Enniskillen Flight Centre which were previously owned by Maria. I believe these are in bits down in Prestwick. The Enniskillen Flight Centre was run from Cumbernauld.

I checked the Companies House web site and there are a remarkable number of similarly named businesses along with CFC. If I were cynical, I would believe this fact speaks volumes...

I got on well with Maria and Ted, the newspaper article does neither of them any favours but at least I think I know what caused his knees to wear out. Sam and Sebastian are good instructors. It is Sam I have the most sympathy for. He just had a daughter this year so I hope things get better for him.

To close, I would advise anyone interested in learning to fly to never pay up front. But if they do make sure the money is legally safe, don't take someone's word. Check up on the company: find out who owns it and gauge whether they can be trusted.

Train on a common type, katanas were a mistake. Twitchy handing, different to the other aircraft I have tried and extremely unpleasant in cross-winds.