PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brize move a farce..
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2011, 11:13
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I stress the earlier legal point - the RAF have no right to create noise that constitutes a nuisance - irrespective of how long they have done it at any location - the principle of 'Ancient Lights' doesn't apply (ie enjoyment of/exercise of an activity acquired through lapse of time); at present Crown Immunity stops further sanctions being taken, however it is behoven on the operating authority to take all practical measures to mitigate noise form aircraft operations.

In other words, just because Brize Norton has been there since 1918 (or whenever) gives it no more right to produce noise than a new manufactory with noise producing processes which may consitute a nuisance. At present, noise from military activity enjoys excemption, but this is a fairly weak defence this day and age.

And before I am accused of not 'supporting our boys on the Malabar Front', I am simply pointing out that producing noise that is a nuisance is illegal. And yes, I do think it naive of people who buy properties around an established noise producer - bet it an airfield, an range, cow shed or church bells - and then complain about it. The lovely church bells from our parish church clock near our UK home have been silenced between 2200 - 0800 because of lcocal complaints; where I am currently residing we are woken up with noise from our nearby place of worhsip at 0600 - and repeated throughout the day till about 11 pm - or later. I wouldn't dare complain - the locals would be at the door with flaming torches and all manner of sharp objects post haste.