PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sector entries
Thread: Sector entries
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2011, 20:53
777-Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To tell you the truth I don't imagine myself changing the track for every minute while doing the Alternative Procedure. My point is that I prefer sticking with a calculated track while PreFlight Planning and maintain it all the way to Base turn point, rather then changing it.....
Does it really make sense?
Well.. Back in the days during my IR training, one of my friends had an endless argument with his examiner about this issue in particular! He flew the extended outbound leg in a similar procedure like that one of EGTC without reducing the drift to single drift right after the first minute wind-corrected! Obviously, it wasn't a fail point, but you never know what could happen with a different examiner on a different day with the same procedure! My main argument, however, would be flying the thing as accurately as possible. Plus that for the purpose of planning, it won't hurt so much if you stick to 3x drift for the first minute and then back to single drift thereafter. From the practical side of it, it won't make a significant difference in light winds if you change the drift or not. But on a tough windy day, 3x drift for 2 minutes or more, this would seriously put you wider or tighter compared to the path you had to fly and this would mean you are working against yourself by inducing an under/overshoot that you could have avoided somehow from the start.

I'm not saying you are wrong about your method, but that was the way I've been taught to do fly it and I'm happy to do it that way. If your instructor is happy about your method, then fair enough! Just fly it right

Last edited by 777-Aviator; 4th Aug 2011 at 21:07.