PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Pilots PIA
Thread: QF Pilots PIA
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2011, 23:22
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Framer, I can see where you (and others posting similar views) are coming from, however I don't quite agree. The wage rise and travel claims are what the membership asked AIPA to negotiate, along with job security. The union is doing what the membership asked it to do, and is doing it in a measured and responsible way. The slow and steady campaign has resulted in significant media exposure with zero impact on the public. This has resulted in public discussion of the issues before any action that might cause emotive public response. AIPA's tactics with regard to media exposure has turned out to be smarter than those on this forum who were criticising AIPA's lack of media savvy. Similarly, I think that AIPA's strategy with respect to claims will turn out to be smarter than the strategy of shooting off all your ammunition before the battle starts. Ultimately the battle for terms and conditions will be fought over the negotiating table with Qantas or be arbitrated by FWA, not the public.

Give AIPA some credit, they are doing what the membership asked of it in a way that is measured and responsible. Hopefully they will not fall for the shoot-from-the-hip responses called for by uninformed members of this forum.