PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester crash reported BBC
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 21:37
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
The press have a responsibility to quote accurately - which they did.
They reported that the comment was made on this site - which it was.
They referred to this site as "a respected professional pilots website" - which it is.
The error they made was assuming that Stewmath is an "expert" - which he is most certainly not.
I agree, that the press quoted accurately, and yes, it was on this site. "Respected professional pilot's website"? A stretch... but if "rumour" is included in there, okay.

However, I opine that it is not an "error" to (apparently to me) latch onto a statement, and quote it in a news publication (thereby bolstering it's apparent validity), when it would appear that there was no effective due dilligence in verifying and qualifying the source of the quoted statement for "expertise". An "error" would be mistaking "stewmath" for the well known and well respected senior pilot "stewman" (okay, I made that up, but you get the point). My experience is that errors in newspapers are retracted. This "more than just an error" should be.

Wreckless, and over zealous are not errors in the news reporting business, they are just what they are called. You can see an error, in that the person obviously made an effort to get it right, and still got it wrong. I think that a person of stewmath's modest (or unknown, 'cause I have no idea) knowledge being quoted as an "expert" goes beyond an "error".

Sorry you're the focal point on this one stewmath, no slam against you personally! You're in the middle of your 15 minutes of fame by circumstance, don't let it put you off PPRuNe. I think there is an expert professional around here somewhere, but most of us are just trying to do our bit to contribute, and spread good will in general aviation....