PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jakarta
Thread: Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 11:49
NorthernGoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like it was said before it is very dependent on how much you need the hours time on type etc. Is it a great place to build a tonne of hours and then move on some where, sure it is. The problem lies in how your going to build your hours and who your going to be dealing with. I've been here for almost a year, been with my current company little over 2 months. There are good companies in Indonesia they are just hard to find. Be weary of the major airliners because they have more to lose, and less care. Corruption is unfortunately a way of life here with very little end in sight. Although prosecution has been brought to some high up politicians, bankers etc it in my opinion is merely to quiet the masses. Jakarta itself will get on your nerves quite quickly, even though it has fantastic malls and some interesting spots to eat and drink. If you are going to live here the suggestion of a motorcycle is a must and also shop around for places to live, unfortunately here there is a common theme of raising the prices to 10x as much for popular foreigner areas. I live in what they call as kost kosan, similar to a college dorm with A/c Wifi Hot water and I pay around 150$ us a month I know many other pilots shoveling out for than 900$! If you do have the hours on type I would personally suggest something along the likes of Lion Air or Air Asia, they tend to get a substantially larger passenger load and still offer the same prices. Be careful have your wits about you and don't take any ****, they will try and screw you ut thats just the nature of the city. PM if you want I'm more then willing to help out once your here or before!

All the best happy flying