PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sector entries
Thread: Sector entries
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2011, 21:08
777-Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It says "make good a track" and we are saying otherwise.
Certainly Not! It's exactly what I tried to explain in my last post.

I'll try to chunk down the procedure given in that awkward sentence to make it looks easier to interpret.

a) at the fix, the aircraft is turned onto a heading --------- i.e Gate 1 Track + corrections for winds = Gate 1 Heading

That's because G1 is a track that you have to fly wind-corrected. You also have to correct the 1 minute time according to the proportion of head/tail wind you are flying at.

.......to make good a track making an angle of 30° from the reciprocal of the inbound track on the holding side --------- if you think about it, this is precisely the definition of Gate 1 !!!Like I said before, G1 for right hand hold is the outbound (reciprocal of the inbound track) minus 30 degrees, and for left hand hold it's the outbound plus 30 degrees.

By experience, you will find out that an undershoot is always easier to deal with compared to the overshoot. So if you want to avoid the overshoot, first you have to carefully visualize where the wind is coming from relative to the aircraft while you enter the hold. Second, try to subtly steer the aircraft more into the holding side while doing the offset entry so that when you turn to the inbound axis you are more likely to be in an undershoot position if not spot on the track! But be sensible about it if you already have the winds blowing from the non-holding side as it will do the job for you and make you fly wide into the holding side and putting you in the favorable undershoot situation.

Cheers.