PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extra 7000 MoD civvies to go before 2015.
Old 1st Aug 2011, 12:48
ex_matelot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x - I've done about 30 months at MWS and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I can think of a couple of disabled people working there, at least one of whom was broken by the RN. To claim that 10% of non-mil working there are disabled is bollocks.
My 10% claim is not based on any available stats, but simply what we referred to them as. During my times at MWS it was quite noticeable that there appeared to be proportionally more disabled civilians working there than in other bases / industries. Once again I state - this is not based on hard stats but my own observations.
My other observation was some of the most difficult to deal with civilians were the disabled ones. Senior officers climbed over each other to be seen to defend them if any complaints were raised. I know of one notable incident where Collingwood was left without half it's duty watch one weekend due to a cock-up that was swiftly brushed under the table.

Regardless of my disabled in Collingwood claim, the fact remains that scores of civvies are on disproportionately large salaries for the actual roles and responsibilities they have. Many of the jobs were previously covered in existing shore-based job specs and duty watch commitments.