PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Pilots PIA
Thread: QF Pilots PIA
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2011, 11:16
Ushuaia

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
....no FO or SO is going to make the PA without the Captain's say so.
An interesting statement and a scenario I've wondered about. I'm not a respondent to the Long Haul award so cannot partake in any action. But I am ex Long Haul, know many of the guys there, how they feel and know what I, as an ex-LH F/O, would have thought and wanted to do. So, what if the Captain does not want to make a PA but the F/O does?

I am wondering what are the legalities under industrial laws if one pilot orders another pilot not to partake in industrial action. If the action does not compromise safety is it lawful to forbid it? if ever there was a conflict between Captain's authority and an individual's industrial rights, this is it.

Fortunately, I think most LH Captains are pretty reasonable blokes these days, furthermore a big majority of Captains obviously voted in favour of action. So the issue should rarely arise; Captains would either be supportive or indifferent at worst. There ARE a few exceptions though and the management pilots do a little flying too, of course..... It would be a VERY interesting if the FO wanted to do the PIA PA on one of THOSE flights.....

I wonder if the FO on the QF30 Friday night wanted to do a PA? I wonder if he asked OM?! Maybe sneaked one out during OM's break???!!!