PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extra 7000 MoD civvies to go before 2015.
Old 29th Jul 2011, 09:16
Jabba_TG12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I blame the fact that a lot of them were civilianised in the first place back in the 1990's.... Granted though, there are going to be numbers amongst them that were always civ rather than posts held by mil personnel, but I dont recall a great level of squawking, particularly from the unions, when military posts were made redundant following the end of the cold war, the closure of military hospitals, etc etc etc.

Note, I'm not denigrating the work done by civilians in MOD, I know from my own experiences that a lot of people work damn hard and have the mil's best interests at heart.

It just strikes me that we've quite possibly come full circle since the 1990's. Its just that this time, its Treasury led and if any of the roles are to stay at all, chances are they'll continue to be outsourced to the usual suspects.

Kinda get the feeling that we'd have been better off leaving things the way they were in the 1990's instead of pursuing this failed experiment... It just seems nothing is being learned, just lurching from one crisis to another...