PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Asia Business Model
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2011, 22:51
my oleo is extended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The theory goes that the value of Qantas is in the brand and nothing else. The theory goes that all the components that go to make up the airline are merely "business inputs" that can be provided by "suppliers" who will provide the required product or service for a simple fee.
In this theory, you are not a "pilot" but a "provider of piloting services". Qantas simply pays someone to provide "piloting services" and that is the end of it. The folks who do all this are called "supply chain managers".
The idea behind all this is that risk is systematically removed, or so Qantas management thinks. They don't have to worry about care and feeding of employees, retirement, training, rosters, etc. etc. One simple monthly fee to the supplier takes care of all that.
Funny thing that. Third party suppliers (employees) are considered 'employees' under the Safety Management System,which as we know is now legislated. So hypothetically if an accidnet occurs and some of these third party people are killed, it is the CEO that will land in jail as he is the accountable person. No longer are thrid parties simply held at arms length to provide a cheap service freeing an executive of accountabilty when something goes wrong.

Upperlobe, 10/10 for your post. How true is that ! 90 years of a solid building of an enviable safety reputation slaughtered within a few short years.

As for AJ's comments about employee policies not being a safety concern ? Me thinks somebody should explain SMS, Just Culture and current legislation to him. These are things that an operator is regulated too...