PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To fly, or not to fly?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2011, 10:16
Speedbird13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Bealzebub - I apologise if my post came off as offensive, it's just my teenager senses tingling and me being overly naive!
I obviously assumed that most F/O's on the 78's and 380's would be newly recruited, but didn't really think that through in terms of them both generally being LH fleet, which in itself requires something like 8 years as a SH pilot taken in straight from flight school, or 2000TT for Direct Entry or something very similar.
So I do apologise for that part of my post!

@Askell - Obviously I'd love it to be as simple as getting a lucky break, finishing up at OAA just as BA are hiring new fresh-out-of-training FO's to fly their A319's & 20's, but I'm looking to cover every possible scenario so that I'm not left dumbfounded and clueless and with a £70,000 loan to pay back!

My immediate second step would probably be to self-fund a TR on 319/320/321 with MCC, which can be done for around £15,000. I'd leave line training to the airline I'd hopefully get a contract from, but surely as a potential candidate with my own TR for a very widely-used SH/MH aircraft, I would hopefully be seen as 'more qualified' than a candidate with only his/her fATPL and no previous experience/qualifications since leaving flight training?

I know BMI recruitment can be as low as just 100 hours PIC, an fATPL and IR - and although their current recruitment is pretty much zero, considering their Captain to First Officer ratio at the moment and with their new a/c orders, I think by 2013 they'll probably be recruiting to some extent, and with a type rating to fly on their main three a/c I'd stand out from the other young candidates, or would this not be the case?

@Jakelowe444 It's great to have someone who's just finished to give me their take on things!
What're you planning on doing now to secure a job/extra training etc.?
Have you had any responses from airlines with interview offers at all?

ALSO, a bit off topic, but did you self-fund your course or take out a loan? I want to add up the pros and cons of both to find the best solution really!

Thanks!