PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YMMB
Thread: YMMB
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 08:48
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
There where two RC-3 Seabees at MB in the early seventies, a blue and gold one, VH-KNA, lived around the Schutt area. VH-MJO was the Radio 3DB aircraft and belonged to Bill Surh of Peninsula Airways. My first job, in 1971, was flying 3DB for Bill. The 3DB aircraft where, C172, KWN, C150, ROT and the Seabee. All had a black right hand underwing with red '3DB' painted in large letters and used for traffic spotting and beach patrol. The Seabee had a Franklin engine of 210hp with a ground adjustable prop, dual ignition, but one side was a magneto the other a car coil. Two hand pumps in the floor, one for the flaps, one for the gear and everything was 80 knots. Very weird aeroplane. I am not sure but I think 'KWN' was the one Phil Sutton stalled into the water near Mud Island. I had left by then but they found a large group of sharks and were going for a closer look. They ended up swiming with them but all survived what must have been a very exciting adventure. The aircraft was not recovered. If I remember correctly KNA was owned by a TAA pilot but didn't seem to fly much.