PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUGUST 24th - QANTAS
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2011, 07:52
my oleo is extended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boohoo grab a tissue

Blah blah....Everything is to blame for a dip in QF's profits - Greedy Engineers, greedy Pilots, carbon tax, fuel prices, probably Hendra Virus and solar flares as well !! But of course, and no surprises here, Management are not to blame in the least !!

Fuel worries Qantas more than carbon tax
  • July 27, 2011 3:38PM
Qantas chief Alan Joyce says he's more worried about the rising price of fuel than the impact of the carbon tax. Picture: AFP Source: AFP
THE escalating fuel price will have a greater impact on Australian air travel than the federal government's planned carbon tax, Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce says.
Qantas and Virgin have promised to pass on the effects of the carbon tax to customers, which they say will increase one-way fares an average of between $3 to $3.50.
But Mr Joyce said today he was much more concerned about fuel costs impacting on the business.
Qantas has said it expects the planned carbon tax to cost the airline group, comprising full service Qantas mainline and low-cost offshoot Jetstar, between $110 million and $115 million in 2012/13.
“The rise of fuel prices greatly outweighs that,” Mr Joyce told reporters in Brisbane.
“Our fuel bill this year will be $4.6 billion.”
He said the airline had no choice but to pass the impact of the carbon tax onto passengers.
“But if you ask me what I'm worried about, I'm more worried about fuel price than I would be about carbon price,” he said.
Virgin Australia estimates it will take a $45 million hit in 2012/13 from the carbon tax based on current domestic fuel consumption.